Rwanda’s most-wanted genocide suspect has been arrested in France.
Felicien Kabuga, 84, who was living under a false identity in a flat in Asnieres-Sur-Seine, near Paris, had been pursued by international justice for 25 years, the French Justice Ministry said in a statement on Saturday morning.
French gendarmes arrested him at 0530 GMT on Saturday, the ministry said.
The United States had placed a $5 million bounty on his head over crimes allegedly committed during the 1994 genocide.
The businessman is accused of funding the militias that massacred some 800,000 Tutsis and moderate Hutus over a span of 100 days in 1994.
His son-in-law was arrested in Germany in 2007.
Serge Brammertz, chief prosecutor of the Mechanism for International Criminal Tribunals in The Hague, welcomed the arrest.
“The arrest of Felicien Kabuga today is a reminder that those responsible for genocide can be brought to account, even 26 years after their crimes,” he said.
“For international justice, Kabuga’s arrest demonstrates that we can succeed when we have the international community’s support. This result is a tribute to the unwavering commitment of the United Nations Security Council, which established the Mechanism to continue the accountability process in Rwanda and the former Yugoslavia,” Brammertz added.
Kabuga was indicted by the United Nations International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda in 1997 on seven counts of genocide, complicity in genocide, direct and public incitement to commit genocide, attempt to commit genocide, conspiracy to commit genocide, persecution, and extermination, all in relation to crimes committed during the 1994 genocide against the Tutsi in Rwanda.
Kabuga is expected to stand trial in front of the Paris Appeal Court and later to the International Court in The Hague.
- There's fresh $319m Abacha loot in UK, France - US
- April 23–Two siblings arrested for killing their…
- Dear Ap I have been in relationships with this girl…
- Three clergymen arrested for holding Easter services…
- Nigerien armed robber arrested in Jigawa
- 17 Chinese, 10 Nigerians arrested for illegal mining in Osun
- Dear Ap We are two years in marriage,when my wife…
- Thursday—Fela's ex-drummer, Tony Allen dies in…
- Pastor arrested for defiling four minors kept in his…
Complete the form below to send a message to this owner.
Popular Ads Today
- Coronavirus can enter the body through the eyes, and tears can help spread infection – John Hopkins University scientists reveal (78 views)
- Ogun State—5 suspected smugglers arrested over attack on Customs officers (32 views)
- May 24–Teenager fakes her own death on social media to avoid financial pressure from mothe–Photo (17 views)
- May 31—Member of Gombe state COVID-19 taskforce dies from Coronavirus (12 views)
- June 3–348 new cases of Coronavirus recorded in Nigeria (11 views)
- Salawa Abeni Jubilates As RRS Arrests 19-Year-Old YabaTech Student Over N*de Photos (11 views)
- June 1st —DSS confirms alteration in Bayelsa Deputy Governor’s certificate (7 views)
- May 13—184 new cases of COVID-19 recorded in Lagos, Kano, Katsina, others (4 views)
- Atletico Madrid defender, Renan Lodi reportedly tests positive for Coronavirus (3 views)
- Angry Youth attack Governor Hope Uzodinma in Imo State—Photos (3 views)
Popular Ads Overall
- Ogun State—5 suspected smugglers arrested over attack on Customs officers (1423 views)
- Nigerian video vixen and dancer, Kodak dies after allegedly being electrocuted while charging her phone (700 views)
- 195 new cases of Coronavirus recorded in Nigeria – 80 in Lagos alone (513 views)
- Traditional cure for Coronavirus will be ready soon – Ooni of Ife (449 views)
- Female robber stripped and disgraced alongside her accomplices after they were caught robbing along Benin-Auchi road (311 views)
- May 24–Teenager fakes her own death on social media to avoid financial pressure from mothe–Photo (306 views)
- April 30–204 new cases of Coronavirus recorded in Nigeria – 80 in Kano and 45 in Lagos (302 views)
- 248 new cases of Coronavirus recorded in Nigeria – 81 in Lagos (298 views)
- Man who sealed wife’s private part with super glue has been arrested—Photos (296 views)
- May 13—184 new cases of COVID-19 recorded in Lagos, Kano, Katsina, others (295 views)