Ogun State—5 suspected smugglers arrested over attack on Customs officers
Five suspected smugglers have been arrested over attack on officers of the Nigerian Customs Service (NCS) in Ikpokia Local Government Area of Ogun State.
One of the officers identified as Assistant Superintendent Chidi Johnson sustained severe injuries in the ambush laid by the suspected smugglers last Friday.
Johnson was among a team of Customs men from Ogun 1 Command, said to have been sent to evacuate about 35 50kg bags of rice that smugglers brought into the country.
It was learnt that the Customs men had embarked on the operation at about 7.30pm on Friday based on an intelligence report that suspected smugglers were stockpiling smuggled rice in a house at Ilashe village in Ipokia Local Government Area.
The Public Relations Officer of the Ogun 1 Command of the NCS, Abdullahi Maiwada, who confirmed the attack, said the smugglers mobilised themselves in large numbers and launched “a vicious attack, with assorted weapons, on the officers performing their lawful duties.”
The suspected smugglers macheted Johnson, giving him deep cuts in various parts of his body.
“The seriously wounded officer was immediately rushed to the hospital and, luckily, he is responding to treatment. Five suspects have been arrested in connection with the incident and are currently undergoing interrogation. It is instructive to note that, that Friday was a date set aside for total lockdown in Ogun State due to the surge of the COVID-19 cases. We find it unfortunate and strange that the daredevil smugglers, who have no regards for the laws of the land or the disease ravaging the global community, resorted to crossing the border through illegal routes to perpetrate such nefarious activities in total disregard for the health and economic well-being of Nigerians,” Maiwada said.
- Alleged rapist arrests victim's mother, uncle and…
- NCDC boss reacts after Kogi state government…
- COVID-19 Lockdown: Disturbing photos of women…
- During this lockdown PHCN official attacked while…
- Ogun state hotelier, Jimoh Bello, who went missing…
- City of Cape Town to suspend officers who dragged…
- With weapons Suspected hitmen for Eiye, Aiye,…
- Nigeria Singer Jaywon arrested for violating curfew…
- Pastor arrested for defiling four minors kept in his…
Popular Ads Today
- Photos—President Buhari applauds Nigerian man who found a wallet loaded with cash in Japan and returned it (39 views)
- Used generators sale Cummins – Kirloskar, Ashok leyland (36 views)
- July 4–Court of Appeal affirms Yahaya Bello as Kogi state governor (32 views)
- 322 Nigerians evacuated from the US arrive Lagos (31 views)
- Five persons die in boat mishap in Lagos (31 views)
- July 4–603 new cases of Coronavirus recorded in Nigeria (29 views)
- US Federal prosecutors officially charge Hushpuppi for fraud. Faces 20 years in US prison (28 views)
- Covid19–626 new cases of Coronavirus recorded in Nigeria (25 views)
- Good News—EU authorizes use of Remdesivir to treat Coronavirus (22 views)
- June 21–Man dies of Coronavirus after breaking social distancing rules just once (21 views)
Popular Ads Overall
- Ogun State—5 suspected smugglers arrested over attack on Customs officers (1623 views)
- Nigerian video vixen and dancer, Kodak dies after allegedly being electrocuted while charging her phone (805 views)
- 195 new cases of Coronavirus recorded in Nigeria – 80 in Lagos alone (597 views)
- Traditional cure for Coronavirus will be ready soon – Ooni of Ife (543 views)
- May 24–Teenager fakes her own death on social media to avoid financial pressure from mothe–Photo (491 views)
- Five COVID-19 patients killed in Russia hospital fire (404 views)
- Female robber stripped and disgraced alongside her accomplices after they were caught robbing along Benin-Auchi road (377 views)
- May 13—184 new cases of COVID-19 recorded in Lagos, Kano, Katsina, others (371 views)
- Man who sealed wife’s private part with super glue has been arrested—Photos (364 views)
- 248 new cases of Coronavirus recorded in Nigeria – 81 in Lagos (356 views)