A 19-year-old girl, Margaret Adiya Ikumu, who resides in Lagos, has recounted how she feigned her own death on social media just to escape financial pressure from her mother.
Spokesperson of the Lagos state police command, Bala Elkana, said the news of her death was subsequently posted on social media which led the family to petition the command.
In a statement released today May 24th, Bala said the command on May 15, received a petition signed by one Tony Iji on behalf of Margaret’s family that their attention was drawn to a post on Facebook stating that Margaret died a few days ago and was secretly buried by two of her friends, Marvelous Mary and Nneka Buddy at Ajah area.
The family further stated that they were able to establish contact with the said friends who confirmed to them that their daughter had died.
In the course of the investigation, the police discovered that Magaret was actually alive, and simply fake her death because of her mother’s financial demands.
”They told the police that the friends informed them that they were instructed by Margaret not to allow members of her family to know anything about her death and that they were authorized by Margaret to secretly bury her. To make them believe that the girl is dead, they sent WhatsApp chats to a member of the girl’s family with picture of a casket showing that the girl is buried. The known phone number of the girl was permanently switched off. The family also got in touch with a man on phone who claimed to be her boyfriend. He corroborated the claim that she is dead.” the statement read
Margaret who was working as a housemaid in an estate at Ajah, was reported to the police by her employer. According to the police, she is angry with her mother and uncles, over their inability to sponsor her education.
When her employer saw the report of her purported death, they quickly informed the Police and she was brought to Ajah Police Station. In her statement, she confessed to having created the Facebook account and posted her obituary with intent to keep her family away from her. She said her mother was putting financial pressure on her, constantly demanding that she send money to her. The girl is apparently bitter with her mother and uncles, over their inability to sponsor her education after the death of her father. Her sojourn to Lagos is to work, save some money and return to school.
She admitted using her employer’s daughter’s photograph Dr Nimechi Ugorji (without her knowledge) in the fictitious Facebook account she created, as profile picture. After posting the obituary notice on the account, her Uncle downloaded the profile picture and reposted, calling on members of the public who know the person on the photograph to report to the nearest Police Station” the statement read
He added that Investigation is ongoing.
- Nigeria Media personality—“Date Within Your Tax…
- Three men arrested in Katsina for ''insulting''…
- River State—Actress Glory Odum demands for justice…
- Heartbreaking—Bodies are exhumed in Brazil to make…
- American 52 year old Woman mauled to death by her…
- Hurrible—Car crushes man to death while making video…
- Sokoto state records 10th COVID-19 death
- LASTMA arrests over 100 vehicles for violating…
- May 14–Delta records Coronavirus death
Popular Ads Today
- Man kills only son, buries corpse in shallow grave (141 views)
- July 10–32-year-old man allegedly shot dead by police officer in Ibadan (34 views)
- Man found guilty of stabbing his heavily pregnant ex-girlfriend 21 times, killing her and their baby (29 views)
- Vigilante member allegedly kills driver in Kwara over N5,000 bribe (18 views)
- Adhere to 24hr AC Repair Miami Service for AC Repairs (16 views)
- Woman accuses hospital of stealing her baby in Lagos—Photo (16 views)
- Funny punishment As Tourists forced to write ‘I am so sorry’ 500 times for breaching Coronavirus lockdown in India -Photo (16 views)
- Ghanaian actress, Akuapem Poloo arrested over her nude photo with her seven-year-old son—Photos (15 views)
- NFL’s Telvin Smith pleads not guilty to sex with underage girl (15 views)
- One person confirmed dead and six others have been rescued after a three storey building collapsed in Lagos —Photos (14 views)
Popular Ads Overall
- Ogun State—5 suspected smugglers arrested over attack on Customs officers (1637 views)
- Nigerian video vixen and dancer, Kodak dies after allegedly being electrocuted while charging her phone (839 views)
- 195 new cases of Coronavirus recorded in Nigeria – 80 in Lagos alone (653 views)
- Traditional cure for Coronavirus will be ready soon – Ooni of Ife (601 views)
- May 24–Teenager fakes her own death on social media to avoid financial pressure from mothe–Photo (519 views)
- Five COVID-19 patients killed in Russia hospital fire (416 views)
- Man who sealed wife’s private part with super glue has been arrested—Photos (382 views)
- May 13—184 new cases of COVID-19 recorded in Lagos, Kano, Katsina, others (378 views)
- April 30–204 new cases of Coronavirus recorded in Nigeria – 80 in Kano and 45 in Lagos (371 views)
- July 1st—172 Nigerians evacuated from Uganda and Nairobi due to COVID-19 pandemic, arrive Nigeria—Photo (368 views)