The Department of State Service (DSS) on Monday June 1, confirmed an alteration in the exemption certificate issued by the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) to the Deputy Governor of Bayelsa State, Senator Lawrence Oborawharievwo Ewhrudjakpo.
This is coming after the candidate of the Liberation Movement (LM) in the November 16, 2019 governorship election in Bayelsa, Vijah Opuama petitioned the tribunal, alleging that Ewhrudjakpo submitted forged exemption certificate and documents that contain false information to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) before the election.
Abdulsalam Ibrahim, DSS Head of Legal Department who represented DSS’ Director General, told the Bayelsa State Governorship Election Tribunal in Abuja that the alteration was uncovered following an order issued by an Abuja court for an investigation into allegation of forgery against the Deputy Governor.
“Based on the foregoing and the relevant documents forwarded to this service, it is evident that the subject altered the spelling of his surname to reflect the letter D as against the letter O in the certificate of exception earlier issued by NYSC.”
However under cross-examination by lawyer to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Emmanuel Enoidem, Ibrahim confirmed that the alteration in the certificate was effected by the NYSC upon the request by Ewhrudjakpo. The DSS Head of Legal Department also agreed that the bearer of a name knows how best to spell his/her name.
When asked to read paragraph 7 of a document marked “P3” (one of the reports the investigation by the DSS), Ibrahim read thus:
“It is based on this recent finding, that we wish to bring to the notice of the DSS that we (the NYSC) corrected the certificate of exemption to read Ewhrudjakpo. Only the last letter A was corrected to read letter O.”
The DSS senior official also identified an attachment to the report as “Annexture 2,” which he explained “is a letter to the NYSC seeking a request for correction, following which the correction was now made.”
Following the conclusion of Ibrahim’s testimony, the petitioner’s lawyer Pius Danbe Pius said his next witness is Ewhrudjakpo who has been subpoenaed to produce the original copy of the certificate of exemption.
The case was adjourned till Tuesday June 2 by the tribunal’s Chairman, Justice Ibrahim Siraj. It is expected that the hearing of a motion by Ewhrudjakpo, challenging his invitation as the petitioner’s witness will be heard on the said date.
- Bayelsa —Doctor tests positive for Coronavirus
- June 7—Policeman electrocuted in Abuja
- Tragic As Jigawa state government confirms…
- INTERPOL confirms Hushpuppi's arrest, plans to…
- June 3–348 new cases of Coronavirus recorded in Nigeria
- Edo state deputy governor Philip Shaibu joins…
- June 2nd week Cash Giveaway “Adahor.com”Online…
- Sunday 3 May—Nine pastors arrested in Bayelsa for…
- June 8–Nasarawa state governor sacks SSG, Tijani Ahmed
Popular Ads Today
- Photos—President Buhari applauds Nigerian man who found a wallet loaded with cash in Japan and returned it (37 views)
- Used generators sale Cummins – Kirloskar, Ashok leyland (36 views)
- July 4–Court of Appeal affirms Yahaya Bello as Kogi state governor (32 views)
- 322 Nigerians evacuated from the US arrive Lagos (31 views)
- Five persons die in boat mishap in Lagos (31 views)
- July 4–603 new cases of Coronavirus recorded in Nigeria (29 views)
- US Federal prosecutors officially charge Hushpuppi for fraud. Faces 20 years in US prison (27 views)
- Covid19–626 new cases of Coronavirus recorded in Nigeria (25 views)
- Good News—EU authorizes use of Remdesivir to treat Coronavirus (22 views)
- June 21–Man dies of Coronavirus after breaking social distancing rules just once (21 views)
Popular Ads Overall
- Ogun State—5 suspected smugglers arrested over attack on Customs officers (1623 views)
- Nigerian video vixen and dancer, Kodak dies after allegedly being electrocuted while charging her phone (805 views)
- 195 new cases of Coronavirus recorded in Nigeria – 80 in Lagos alone (597 views)
- Traditional cure for Coronavirus will be ready soon – Ooni of Ife (543 views)
- May 24–Teenager fakes her own death on social media to avoid financial pressure from mothe–Photo (491 views)
- Five COVID-19 patients killed in Russia hospital fire (404 views)
- Female robber stripped and disgraced alongside her accomplices after they were caught robbing along Benin-Auchi road (377 views)
- May 13—184 new cases of COVID-19 recorded in Lagos, Kano, Katsina, others (371 views)
- Man who sealed wife’s private part with super glue has been arrested—Photos (364 views)
- 248 new cases of Coronavirus recorded in Nigeria – 81 in Lagos (355 views)