Coronavirus can enter the body through the eyes, and tears can help spread infection - John Hopkins University scientists reveal
Scientists from the John Hopkins University School of Medicine have released a report claiming the novel Coronavirus can enter the body through the eyes after finding that the eyes contain a protein used by the disease scientifically called SARS-CoV-2 to bind to cells.
According to the scientists, Covid-19 or SARS-CoV-2 – latches onto ACE-2 receptors in the eyes, as these receptors are known as the ‘gateway’ into cells inside body.
These ACE-2 receptors are found in the respiratory tract and the lungs, which is where the virus first infiltrates cells, as well as other organs and the Johns Hopkins scientists have now found the eyes produce ACE-2, making them a target for the virus.
The study suggests that if droplets from an infected person’s sneeze or cough were to land on the surface of the eye, the virus could begin infiltrating cells there explaining why some Coronavirus patients have suffered conjunctivitis – an inflammation of the eye.
The scientists also revealed that tears may serve as a spread of infection.
The team was led by Lingli Zhou of the Department of Ophthalmology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore and they analysed ten human post-mortem eyes from people who did not die of COVID-19 for the expression of ACE2 (angiotensin-converting enzyme 2).
The scientists also looked for TMPRSS2, an enzyme that helps viral entry following binding of the viral spike protein to ACE2. ACE2 and TMPRSS2 must both be present in the same cell for Covid-19 to effectively replicate in the human cells.
All eye specimens checked by the scientists expressed ACE-2 in the tissue that lines the inside of the eyelids, called conjunctiva, the clear outer layer of the eye, called the cornea, and the limbus, which is the border between the cornea and the white of the eye according to the report of the scientists published on MedRxiv .
TMPRSS2 was also expressed according to the research which was triggered by ‘extensive speculation’ that eye surfaces are a possible site of virus entry.
Dr Zhou and colleagues wrote: ‘Together, these results indicate that ocular surface cells including conjunctiva are susceptible to infection by SARS-CoV-2, and could therefore serve as a portal of entry as well as a reservoir for person-to-person transmission of this virus.’
- Ap when you enter a new relationship,how long before…
- April 6–Dead body of a man found floating in Osun…
- May 14–Delta records Coronavirus death
- Ap can you sacrifice any of your body organ just to…
- 248 new cases of Coronavirus recorded in Nigeria -…
- Six new cases of Coronavirus recorded in Kwara, Edo,…
- Taskforce intercepts vehicle conveying body of…
- May 4—Adamawa records 7 new Coronavirus cases
- George Floyd's 6-year-old daughter offered full…
- United States
Popular Ads Today
- Photos—President Buhari applauds Nigerian man who found a wallet loaded with cash in Japan and returned it (37 views)
- Used generators sale Cummins – Kirloskar, Ashok leyland (36 views)
- July 4–Court of Appeal affirms Yahaya Bello as Kogi state governor (32 views)
- 322 Nigerians evacuated from the US arrive Lagos (31 views)
- Five persons die in boat mishap in Lagos (31 views)
- July 4–603 new cases of Coronavirus recorded in Nigeria (29 views)
- Covid19–626 new cases of Coronavirus recorded in Nigeria (25 views)
- US Federal prosecutors officially charge Hushpuppi for fraud. Faces 20 years in US prison (22 views)
- June 21–Man dies of Coronavirus after breaking social distancing rules just once (21 views)
- Woman arrested for drilling nails and using hot iron on her 10-year-old domestic help’s head in Enugu—Photos (18 views)
Popular Ads Overall
- Ogun State—5 suspected smugglers arrested over attack on Customs officers (1623 views)
- Nigerian video vixen and dancer, Kodak dies after allegedly being electrocuted while charging her phone (805 views)
- 195 new cases of Coronavirus recorded in Nigeria – 80 in Lagos alone (597 views)
- Traditional cure for Coronavirus will be ready soon – Ooni of Ife (543 views)
- May 24–Teenager fakes her own death on social media to avoid financial pressure from mothe–Photo (491 views)
- Five COVID-19 patients killed in Russia hospital fire (404 views)
- Female robber stripped and disgraced alongside her accomplices after they were caught robbing along Benin-Auchi road (376 views)
- May 13—184 new cases of COVID-19 recorded in Lagos, Kano, Katsina, others (370 views)
- Man who sealed wife’s private part with super glue has been arrested—Photos (363 views)
- 248 new cases of Coronavirus recorded in Nigeria – 81 in Lagos (355 views)