A Joint task force recently inaugurated by the Osun State Government, has arrested 27 persons for illegal mining in the state.
The 27 persons who were arrested in a coordinated sting operation around Ilesa and Ife axis of the state include 17 Chinese, 9 locals as well as the traditional chief (Bale) of a community in the state.
Mr Abdullahi Binuyo, the Deputy Chief of Staff to Gov. Gboyega Oyetola confirmed the arrest in Osogbo on Sunday May 3. He said the suspects will be prosecuted and made to pay damages.
“Aside the economic leakages, the illegal miners have also polluted the Osun River with poisonous metals, thereby making it unsafe for human consumption and irrigation.
“We intend to prosecute them and also make sure they pay compensation.
“As part of government’s economic reforms, solid mineral is a major sector we are exploring. For these reforms to work, it has become imperative to stop illegal mining and step up enforcement activities. The result is what we are witnessing today.
“These people neither have genuine mining licences nor are they registered with the government.
“What they claim to have is Exploration Licences; that does not permit them to mine the way they are doing.
“So, we will prosecute them and make them pay damages.
“Apart from flouting government’s order to stay at home so as to contain the spread of COVID-19, they have created environmental disaster for us by poisoning our river which is a major public health concern.”
- Nigerians react as Kano state government relaxes…
- FG spent N169m on evacuation of Nigerians - PTF
- Lagos state government suspends demolition of…
- Coronavirus: Chinese billionaire, Jack Ma announces…
- 50 trafficked Nigerian girls and 19 stranded…
- July 1st—172 Nigerians evacuated from Uganda and…
- Reorganize yourself or risk another lockdown - NCDC…
- 56 Nigerians evacuated from Pakistan arrive Nigeria;…
- Two Chinese nationals arrested for illegal mining in Zamfara
Popular Ads Today
- Man kills only son, buries corpse in shallow grave (110 views)
- July 10–32-year-old man allegedly shot dead by police officer in Ibadan (29 views)
- Man found guilty of stabbing his heavily pregnant ex-girlfriend 21 times, killing her and their baby (29 views)
- Vigilante member allegedly kills driver in Kwara over N5,000 bribe (15 views)
- Adhere to 24hr AC Repair Miami Service for AC Repairs (13 views)
- Funny punishment As Tourists forced to write ‘I am so sorry’ 500 times for breaching Coronavirus lockdown in India -Photo (13 views)
- Surprise—Girl Kills Her Baby In Lagos For Making Her Miss OAU Admission—Photo (12 views)
- Ghanaian actress, Akuapem Poloo arrested over her nude photo with her seven-year-old son—Photos (12 views)
- NFL’s Telvin Smith pleads not guilty to sex with underage girl (11 views)
- Woman accuses hospital of stealing her baby in Lagos—Photo (11 views)
Popular Ads Overall
- Ogun State—5 suspected smugglers arrested over attack on Customs officers (1636 views)
- Nigerian video vixen and dancer, Kodak dies after allegedly being electrocuted while charging her phone (838 views)
- 195 new cases of Coronavirus recorded in Nigeria – 80 in Lagos alone (653 views)
- Traditional cure for Coronavirus will be ready soon – Ooni of Ife (600 views)
- May 24–Teenager fakes her own death on social media to avoid financial pressure from mothe–Photo (519 views)
- Five COVID-19 patients killed in Russia hospital fire (414 views)
- Man who sealed wife’s private part with super glue has been arrested—Photos (382 views)
- May 13—184 new cases of COVID-19 recorded in Lagos, Kano, Katsina, others (377 views)
- April 30–204 new cases of Coronavirus recorded in Nigeria – 80 in Kano and 45 in Lagos (371 views)
- July 1st—172 Nigerians evacuated from Uganda and Nairobi due to COVID-19 pandemic, arrive Nigeria—Photo (368 views)