Iran admits ‘unintentionally’ shooting down Ukrainian airliner“Photos
Iran has admitted that its military made an “unforgivable mistake” in unintentionally shooting down a Ukrainian jetliner, killing all 176 people onboard, after days of rejecting western intelligence reports that pointed to Tehran being responsible.
A military statement early on Saturday via state TV blamed “human error” for the downing of Ukraine International Airlines flight 752 on Wednesday in the tense aftermath of strikes on US targets. It was followed by an apology from Iran’s president and condolences from supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskiy responded on Saturday morning that Iran must make an official apology and agree to a full investigation and compensation, as well as co-operating with Ukraine’s own investigators. “Our 45 professionals should have full access and co-operation to establish justice,” a statement from the presidency said.
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau also said his country’s focus remained on “closure, accoutability, transparency and justice” for the familes of the 57 Canadian victims.
Hassan Rouhani, the Iranian president, wrote on Saturday: “The Islamic Republic of Iran deeply regrets this disastrous mistake. My thoughts and prayers go to all the mourning families. I offer my sincerest condolences.”
The Iranian foreign minister, Javad Zarif, wrote: “A sad day. Preliminary conclusions of internal investigation by armed forces: human error at time of crisis caused by US adventurism led to disaster. Our profound regrets, apologies and condolences to our people, to the families of all victims, and to other affected nations.”
The plane was mistaken for a hostile target after it turned towards a sensitive military centre of the Revolutionary Guard, the military statement carried on the offical IRNA news agency said.
“The military was at its highest level of readiness” amid the heightened tensions with the US, it said, adding: “In such a condition, because of human error and in a unintentional way, the flight was hit.”
The military apologised for the disaster and said it would upgrade its systems to prevent such mistakes in the future. The responsible parties would be referred to a judicial department within the military and held accountable, it said.
A fuller explanation and apology would be forthcoming from Iran’s Revolutionary Guards later on Saturday, IRNA news reported, citing an informed source within the Guards.
The jetliner, a Boeing 737, went down on the outskirts of Tehran during takeoff a few hours after Iran had launched a barrage of missiles at US forces in Iraq in the early hours of Wednesday.
The strikes on two US bases were retaliation for the US drone strike that killed the powerful Quds Force leader Qassem Suleimani in Baghdad on 3 January – the culmination of a recent series of tit-for-tat attacks that threatened to push Washington and Tehran into war.
Iran’s acknowledgement of responsibility renews questions of why authorities did not shut down the country’s main international airport and its airspace after launching ballistic missile attacks, when they feared US reprisals were possible.
It also undermines the credibility of information provided by senior Iranian officials so far. As recently as Friday, Ali Abedzadeh, the head of the national aviation department, told reporters with certainty that a missile had not caused the crash, while on Thursday, cabinet spokesman Ali Rabiei dismissed reports of a missile, saying they rub salt on a painful wound for families of the victims.
Zelenskiy, the Ukrainian president, said: “Even before the termination of the International Commission, Iran has pleaded guilty to crashing the Ukrainian plane. But we insist on full admission of guilt. We expect from Iran assurances of readiness for full and open investigation, bringing those responsible to justice, returning the bodies of the dead, payment of compensation, official apologies through diplomatic channels.”
The acknowledgement is also likely to inflame public sentiment inside the country against authorities after Iranians had rallied around their leaders in the wake of Suleimani’s killing. The general was seen as a national icon and hundreds of thousands of people turned out for unprecedented funeral processions across the country.
The vast majority of the plane victims were Iranians or Iranian-Canadians, however, and the crash came a few weeks after authorities quashed
nationwide protests ignited by a hike in fuel prices.
“This is the right step for the Iranian government to admit responsibility, and it gives people a step toward closure with this admission,” said Payman Parseyan, a prominent Iranian-Canadian in western Canada who lost a number of friends in the crash
“I think the investigation would have disclosed it whether they admitted it or not. This will give them an opportunity to save face.”
Iran had denied for severa
- Tragic As Pregnant mother, three children killed in…
- Jan 17”Massive leatherback sea turtle caught in…
- Unbelievable As Woman 'sells' her husband for N6,000…
- Many feared dead as tanker explodes in Benue“Photos
- Zamfara government bans selling of cattle without…
- Crazy 😝 “Princess Shyngle's curves causes a stir in…
- Iran vs Usa”Iraq's President, Barhem Saleh…
- Commander of Iran's Quds Force killed in a US air…
- Anambra “Police gun down two suspected armed robbers”Photos
- Iran Iran Iran
Popular Ads Today
- Kaduna: Tragedy as mother and her three killed perish in fire outbreak -photos (18 views)
- Jan 17”Massive leatherback sea turtle caught in Bayelsa state”Photos (7 views)
- Really unbelievable “Mum nabbed after allegedly pimping out her 12-year-old daughter to a 26-year-old man for 3 years”Photos (6 views)
- Nigerian couple’s “Balenciaga” native attire amuses Twitter users after they were seen shopping at a mall in Ilorin -photo/video (4 views)
- Ungodly As Church’s accountant sentenced to 18 years in prison for stealing tithe and offering (4 views)
- Today “Three injured after police, Shiites clash in Abuja” Photo (4 views)
- Fire guts Ogbete main market Enugu (photos (4 views)
- Nigeria Actor, Walter Anga, erects breathtaking two storey building “Photos (3 views)
- Appreciation is good “Nigerian man buys a car for his father who sold his motorcycle years ago to save his eye”Photos (3 views)
- Ghana”Pastor caught in hotel room while allegedly trying to sleep with Elder’s wife “Video (3 views)
Popular Ads Overall
- Kaduna: Tragedy as mother and her three killed perish in fire outbreak -photos (663 views)
- Lol “MI Abaga warns Akon not to address Wizkid as his little brother -photo (531 views)
- Abuja “Nigerian man, wife and 3 kids allegedly burnt beyond recognition in Christmas day accident”photos (473 views)
- 😐 “Iran puts $80m bounty on Donald Trump’s head and threatens to attack the White House”Photo (407 views)
- Viral photos of a Catholic Reverend Sister who allegedly quit her religious profession to marry an officer“Photos (392 views)
- Fire guts Ogbete main market Enugu (photos (365 views)
- Former Texas football player Michael Egwuagu caught on camera confessing to killing his pregnant sister-photos (363 views)
- Actress Juliet Ibrahim reveals why she said she has already messed up in 2020 (357 views)
- Ghanian “I sell my body for a living because I’m lazy and can’t work – Queen Farcadi speaks on why she went into prostitution”photo (352 views)
- Monday night”Chaos at Eko Hotel as fans try to gain entrance to Naira Marley’s concert through any means possible-photo (339 views)