Danfo, Okada, Tokunbo, K-leg and 25 other "Nigerian English" has been added to the Oxford Dictionary in new update
The Oxford English Dictionary has been updated to include some Nigerian words and expressions.
In the Oxford English Dictionary’s January update, 29 Nigerian words were added and it was announced in a blog post on the dictionary’s website.
In the post, the Oxford English Dictionary explained that some of the words were borrowed while others are coinages
“The majority of these new additions are either borrowings from Nigerian languages, or unique Nigerian coinages that have only begun to be used in English in the second half of the twentieth century, mostly in the 1970s and 1980s,” the post added.
Below is a list of the Nigerian words added to the updated Oxford English Dictionary:
Agric, adj. & n.
Barbing salon, n.
To eat money, in eat, v.
Ember months, n.
To flag off in flag, v.
Mama put, n.
Next tomorrow, n. & adv.
Non-indigene, adj. & n.
To put to bed, in put, v.
To rub minds (together) in rub, v./1
- Nigerian man poses as a homosexual to lure a gay man…
- Update-Kobe Bryant and wife Vanessa reportedly had a…
- Nigerian man diagnosed with Coronavirus in the UK,…
- Tragic “Three Nigerian children killed in New Year…
- Update: Davido and Chioma start following each other…
- March 4th—Nigerian soldier killed during Boko Haram…
- New York-Nigerian doctor dies from Coronavirus to be…
- Nigerian professor claims he has 'discovered' the…
- Nigerian Army arrest officers who threatened to rape…
- Texas Texas Nigeria
Popular Ads Today
- Surprise “Nigerian Student says he was flogged by teachers for identifying as a Marlian”Photos (202 views)
- Coronavirus: Power distribution companies in Nigeria affirms two months free electricity supply to Nigerians (96 views)
- Feb 26–Student dies in hospital after being flogged in school by teacher in Delta state (74 views)
- Instagram Bobrisky leaves little to the imagination as he poses in just his underwear (53 views)
- 90 percent of Coronavirus patients recover without intervention – NCDC DG, Ihekweazu Chikwe (46 views)
- Two suspected cultists arrested in Ogun for allegedly killing OPC member in front of his pregnant wife (41 views)
- Man arrested for stealing and selling 2 million face masks (31 views)
- NCDC denies reports of spending N1bn to send SMS to Nigerians (26 views)
- Small Businesses sue China for $8 Trillion over Coronavirus Pandemic (25 views)
- 22 new cases of Coronavirus recorded in Lagos, Abuja, Edo and Bauchi (25 views)
Popular Ads Overall
- Surprise “Nigerian Student says he was flogged by teachers for identifying as a Marlian”Photos (6893 views)
- Ogun State -Three arrested by police for stealing a 4-year-old chil—Photo (4557 views)
- Kaduna: Tragedy as mother and her three killed perish in fire outbreak -photos (3212 views)
- Fire guts Ogbete main market Enugu (photos (2852 views)
- Oh no 🤦♀️ “Mentally-deranged man sets Surulere resident ablaze”Photo (2070 views)
- Actress Juliet Ibrahim reveals why she said she has already messed up in 2020 (1979 views)
- Unbelievable As Woman ‘sells’ her husband for N6,000 (Ksh 1700) to buy clothes-photos (1683 views)
- Lol “MI Abaga warns Akon not to address Wizkid as his little brother -photo (1233 views)
- 😐-Trump administration adds Nigeria & 5 other countries to Travel ban list (1073 views)
- Sexy “Cardi B’s sister, Hennessy Carolina goes topless and braless”Photos (828 views)